Wednesday, April 25, 2007

A stigma wrapped in a history inside another stigma - that will probably never make it onto a t-shirt

Polly at Polarcoaster has designed herself a cute 'Bipolar Princess' t-shirt (click here for a photo). She writes 'I don’t know if I’ll ever wear it outside of my apartment or my friends’ apartment, since it’s like wearing something that says “LOOK AT ME! I’M AN ATTENTION WHORE!”'

I might be wrong here, but this seems to imply that the stigma of being perceived as an attention whore is greater than the stigma of being diagnosed with bipolar. Which leads me to ponder... how many people in the broad consumer/ex-user/psych survivor community (hereon referenced as c/s/x for brevity) would be prepared to publicly sport a t-shirt proclaiming 'Borderline Personality' or 'I Hate You, Don't Leave Me', especially in a context where a lot of people would understand the reference?

Now, I know that this is a diagnosis that has been severely tarnished by its use by psychiatrists as a 'trash can' for the 'treatment-resistant' and as a way of 'explaining' the behaviour of therapists who take advantage of their clients sexually. (The apparently irresistible pull of the 'seductive, needy' borderline and the fear of 'borderline rage' if the patient's overtures are denied, etc etc etc. If borderlines didn't exist, psychiatrists would have to invent them.) I know that BPD often might as well stand for 'Bitch Pissed Doc', and that it has a hot-potato effect, causing the unfortunate patient to be referred from shrink to shrink to shrink, rendering her chance of ever developing a therapeutic relationship with any of them near impossible by the prior communication of the damning diagnosis. So there's a whole stack of reasons why you would want to avoid being lumbered with it, if you have any interest in obtaining the best and most respectful treatment possible for yourself. But, sadly, nothing I've noted above makes the phenomena, each considered individually, of fear of abandonment, difficulties with close relationships, anger management issues, or short-term, highly reactive mood swings, rare or non-existent among those who've spent some time at the mercy of the mental health system. (Heck, if you do have issues like these, your time in 'the system' might even be a contributing factor.)

But few people ever want to admit to them, and so they probably shouldn't, if they're sitting anxiously in the office of a strange psychiatrist. But what about here, where we're anonymous and online, or in real time, talking to other c/s/x people? How many times have c/s/x (particularly bipolar) people declared to me, unprompted, that they've never been diagnosed as borderline? The subtext appears to be: I might be sick, but at least they've never called me that. It seems that not only are those diagnosed with BPD the niggers of the mental health system, they are the niggers of the c/s/x movement as well. And that worries me - a large group that, while rightfully resisting its stigmatisation as a whole, implicitly stigmatises a subgroup of itself, by accepting uncritically the attitudes of some rather weak and callous psychiatrists who, unable to deal with the frustrating but logical emotional and behavioural consequences of intense suffering, have somehow infected their entire discipline, and possibly now the c/s/x movement, with their bigotry.

Don't kid yourself - if you've cut yourself just once, or made a cry-for-help suicide attempt back in the days when neither you or anyone else had the faintest clue what was wrong, or even just argued with your shrink, 'borderline' will have almost certainly made a guest appearance - or even qualified for a regular slot - in your files. If you were young and female at the time, it's pretty much a done deal.

Of course, we're all free to judge individual examples of a person's behaviour, infer a pattern from them, and decide that we'd rather not deal with them if we so wish. But don't do this backwards, and indulge in the kind of wanton borderline-bashing that shrinks do both in semi-public 'places' such as professional journals, and behind closed doors, possibly under the influence of alcohol or other disinhibiting substances - not that some of them would need them, as they're clearly quite happy to let those bitches have it any time.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

*applause*

In my travels, I've come to the conclusion that BPD is either very rare (not bloody likely), or the intense animosity and snake-belly-low prognosis attached to the diagnosis is entirely out of bounds.

I'd like to see 'Borderline' abolished - as a descriptive word it doesn't make much sense, anyway - and replaced with PTSD diagnoses where appropriate. Let's try to remember that these people are suffering, and not just 'being difficult' for grins.

Ruth said...

Thanks Rose. If you're interested, I've posted some earlier thoughts on 'them darn borderlines' here, and I intend to post something further in the near future about the PTSD link.

You're right about the lack of fit between the word and the constellation of symptoms that it is supposed to describe. Apparently the only alternative they could come up with prior to its inclusion in DSM was 'Unstable', and given their conception of personality as being a 'stable' collection of traits, it was all too much of a paradox.

Anonymous said...

I read the linked post - wow. I can see I need to go back and read... um, everything.

I don't think a switch to "unstable" is likely to de-stigmatize; another loaded word is a bad idea. I doubt the psychiatric community would go for some variation on "sensitive" since that's usually perceived to be a good, if difficult, trait.

"Reactive" is the most literal description I can think of, and is an almost-neutral word. And I could get behind the PTSD link being emphasized more (I'm sorry, I know I'm repeating myself). I've been to one ward that was dedicated to women who were PTSD or DID diagnosed (or both), and 'Borderline-type' outbursts and struggles were met with compassion instead of the stony anger they seem to inspire on a regular psych ward.

The author over at The Last Psychiatrist (http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/) has been talking about Narcissism a lot (am I the only one that finds that ironic?), and he's made some interesting remarks about "Borderlines" in those posts.

Thank you for the food for thought. :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, don't worry. It's already made it onto a T-shirt (http://www.cafepress.com/psychtshirts.70399702). If I believed I had BPD, I would be perfectly willing to wear that shirt to any place that I would be willing to wear my "BIPOLAR PRINCESS" shirt.

I don't think I have BPD, but I am well aware that I have some BPD traits, namely that I have mood swings, I used to cut myself, I am sometimes impulsive, and occasionally psychotic and dissociative. Although I think these are better explained by my diagnoses of bipolar disorder and PTSD, I'm open to the idea that maybe I could have BPD, or am possibly a recovered borderline still exhibiting some traits, or that DBT skills might help me regardless of diagnosis. I've got two volumes of Linehan and a copy of Get Me Out of Here by Rachel Reiland sitting in a pile of books on my floor.

I often wonder if BPD is a useful diagnosis at all... but I've met people both in real life and online who were diagnosed with BPD, who agreed with this diagnosis, and who are wonderful people. Because they feel that BPD is a useful construct for explaining some of their feelings and behaviours, and because some of them have received treatment for BPD that they feel has been effective, I don't feel qualified in saying it MUST be purely complex PTSD, or it MUST be purely a different form of bipolar disorder, or it MUST be ONLY a label docs slap on women they don't like. Since I don't identify myself as having BPD, who am I to invalidate the experiences of people who do?

I'm worried about the length of this comment, even though I still have so much to say, so I guess I'll either post another comment later or continue this on my own blog.

Anonymous said...

Great post. I have so many thoughts on this issue. I need to think about how to respond.

~Lisa

Ruth said...

Hi Lisa - if you go to the cafepress link Polly has mentioned above, you'll find that you can get a cute little teddybear with 'Borderline and Beautiful' on it - perfect for hugging in therapy, hmm? :)

Anonymous said...

That stuffed animal would go perfectly with my best little girl voice. A stuffed animal, a little girl voice, therapist # 1 would have been in heaven...but he's out of work now. Maybe I should mail it to him, he may be in need of a stuffed animal right about now.

~Lisa

Anonymous said...

My former psychiatrist, on the other hand, would have preferred the bear be naked.

~Lisa

Ruth said...

Lisa, that last comment was just WRONG... but I'm laughing my arse off anyway! :)

Anonymous said...

Ruth, I hate the term borderline for a lot of the reasons you discussed in your post. I suspect that the only reason my psychiatrist didn't give me the borderline label was because I once shared with him my observation that unattractive therapists seem to be particularly infatuated with the diagnosis and maybe that had to do with their delusion that female patients think they're hot. So, I guess he settled on Cluster B traits, instead.

Whatever. I would probably fit the diagnosis for 1/2 the DSM at one time or another. I was relieved when I met therapist # 3. She doesn't get hung up on pathology. The last thing I needed was to feel even more pathological. In the beginning sessions I just laid it all out. I remember saying, "I guess this makes me borderline, huh?" I never will forget her response. She said, "What it makes you is a young woman who has been through a hell of a lot. You coped with these situations the best way you could." I just felt this huge sense of relief. It was the first time in a very long time when I didn't feel like some kind of freak. I sometimes wonder what would have happened had I found her first. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't find the label particularly helpful. Have I met the criteria for this diagnosis at certain points in my life? Yes, I have thanks to Dr. Steve and Dr. Eric.

~Lisa