Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Hibernating

I'm decided to remove this blog from the public domain for the time being, until I've sorted my priorities out and addressed a few practical issues. There are basically three reasons why I'm taking it down:

1. I'm yet to adjust to the void in my life that unemployment has created. Even though I've increased my subject load at university, it still leaves long stretches of time in which the temptation to get lost in the past is overwhelming. And I'm continuing to question of wisdom of bringing this particular aspect of my life back into such focus, and finding that, at least at the moment, there are things I really don't want to think about right now. So I'm not sure if I want to post further, as an ersatz pearl diver, until I feel stronger.

2. Unemployment carries additional repercussions, surprise, surprise - such as the desire (that will eventually thicken into a need) to find another job. Although I wasn't fired from my most recent position, I left under a bit of a cloud, owing to a rather long and drawn-out breakdown in the relationship between me and my supervisor, a relationship that was always complicated, to say the least. He is aware of this blog and of my online identity - I had confessed all during our happier days. Now that I'm out of there, looking for another job, and relying upon him to provide a good reference, this blog represents the most concrete of our differences - I'm concerned he may pass on the URL and blow my cover; he's less than thrilled with the references to him and the nature of our relationship that pepper it. So, at least at the moment, the mere existence of this blog is something of provocation - and what it does provoke in me, thanks to what it may provoke in others, is an insidious anxiety. Which brings me to:

3. All of the above, but particularly the loss of my job and the relationship breakdown, have made me fairly miserable of late, as can be deduced from my 'K' post. While I think I'm over the worst of it, my demoralisation and resulting self-absorption have affected the quality of this blog, with my most recent posts being little more than exercises in the most cross-eyed of navel-gazing. 'Sharing experiences' is certainly an integral part of what this blog is about, but it is not meant to be a journal, or ironically enough, a place for people in crisis (as I rather stuffily requested in my first post). I have a sense of the Ideal Off-Label, but right now I'm stuck in the cave, watching (my own) shadows on the wall and posting about them as if it they were real and newsworthy. That may not bother everybody, but it sure as hell bothers me. And until I get over my 309.28 Adjustment Disorder or whatever you want to call it, I can't see the situation changing.

None of the above, however, means that I won't be reading and/or commenting on your blogs any longer - no way. In case this is not just the result of a spiking spasm of despondency that will straighten itself out within a few days, I'd just like to say thanks to you all (and particularly to Gianna) for the all the interesting, informative and supportive feedback I've received, and that I look forward to further dialogue, either on your own turf, or even on mine, if this blog should rise from the ashes of my meltdown.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ruth,
I wondered what was going on here.

These do sound like very practical issues, and I think taking time off from blogging to see what this all means for you is important.If this is keeping you stuck in a place you don't want to be, then certainly it's wise to step back from it all.

I do hope, however,that this is "just the result of a spiking spasm of despondency that will straighten itself out within a few days" and the your blog will "rise from the ashes of (your) meltdown."

I think your writing is absolutely brilliant and quite valuable- all of it.I'll miss your posts.
((hugs))

Unknown said...

Thank you for letting me continue to be here. I'm worried about you - I care about you (excuse me if that's awkward) - and I hope for much better things to come, and more of your incisive vision into past and present.

I know the odds are slim, but if there IS anything we can do for you, please don't hesitate to say so.

Tracy, of Rose

PatientGuard said...

After reading all that - I wish you warmth . Take care of yourself as much as you can in this difficult world ..

Silvis Rivers

Mark p.s.2 said...

smart decision of number one.

if we really had to work on something wouldn't our subconscious minds give it to us ever night, with nightmares or daytime problems.

Mark p.s.2 said...

I jynxed myself! I 'm having problems sleeping now lol

Unknown said...

We miss you. I hope you're taking good care of yourself.

Tracy

PatientGuard said...

In the spirit of creativity and near-individuality :

Merry November Ruth ..

Monica Cassani said...

hey!! you're not private anymore...does this mean you'll start writing again.

You are missed.